MOONDOG LABS ANAMORPHIC LENS
There are so many video bloggers and filmmakers that are bursting with creative ideas but feel they are limited because of budget. Look no further, now there is a lens that you can attach to your iPhone that gives you a cinematic look .
About the Lens
The lens is manufactured by Moondoglabs. It was created to shoot with an anamorphic look. This artistic aesthetic is characterized by horizontal flares, an added depth and dimension perspective and an oval shaped wide aspect ratio. Below are two shots taken with an iPhone 5S. The first picture shows a shot with the iPhone alone. The second picture shows the iPhone with the lens. The results are stunning.
Who’s Using the Lens
In 2015, indie writer and director Sean Baker decided to shoot his film “Tangerine” on his iPhone 5S using the Moondog lens. The film rose to stardom at the Sundance Film Festival that same year.
Here is a trailer from the movie:
What You Need to Know Before You Buy
The Moondog Labs 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter squeezes a 33% wider field of view onto the existing iPhone sensor (1920×1080 used for video). Because of this you will need to “de-squeeze” your video, the key to this is pixel aspect ratio and display width for rendering.
Here’s How You Can Do This:
For those that aren’t very technically savvy, you can use Handbrake, a free online tool for converting video into any format. So Handbrake will “de-squeeze” the video you shot.
Handbrake User Steps:
1) Open your video source file (iPhone source is 1920×1080); select destination folder
2) Select Anamorphic = Custom, and Modulus = 8 (arguably, should use Mod 2 as output file is not divisible by 8)
3) Set Display width = 2554 (this is 1.33×1920); PAR width = 4; PAR width = 3 (Together, these give a 1.33:1 Pixel Aspect Ratio)
4) Hit the Start button
The resulting de-squeezed video plays at 1:2.39 aspect ratio.
You Can Also Use Final Cut Pro to “De-Squeeze”
Here is a great video that tell you how to do this:
What iPhones Are Compatible
- iPhone 7+
- iPhone 6+
- iPhone 6/6s
- iPhone 5/5s
- 1.33x afocal anamorphic adapter
- Expands camera horizontal field of view (FOV) by 33%; vertical FOV is unchanged
- Increases video aspect ratio from 16:9 to 2.4:1 (with software de-squeeze)
- Increases still image aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 (with software de-squeeze)
- Compatible with iPhone 5/5S
- Precision all-glass optical design
- Single layer anti-reflection coatings
- Precision CNC-machined aluminum housing
- Secure clamping attachment mechanism, compatible with screen protectors
- Mass: 49.4 grams (1.74 oz)
- Overall dimensions: 32 x 26 x 38.5 mm (21.32 max. extension from iPhone)
- Compatible with Glif™ tripod mount
Where to buy:
Follow us on Facebook to be kept in the video know!